Helping Patron

Law Libraries FAQs

Contact  |  Use  |  Find


Contact the Libraries

1. How do I find a library and its hours?
Library Locations, Directions, Hours and Staff

2. How can I talk to a librarian?
Contact information for a librarian
Email a librarian at

Use of the Libraries

1. Can I use the library to do legal research?
Yes, our libraries are open to all members of the Bar and public doing legal research. See information on Library Locations and Hours

2. Can I access legal information from home?
Our Law Libraries' website offers links to many legal resources available on the Internet. However, please note that there is much Legal Information that is not available on the Internet. Please visit or contact one of our libraries if you do not find the information you are looking for on the Internet.

3. Do you have computers in your library?
Yes, we have public access computers in our libraries. Computers are available for legal research and preparing legal documents purposes. The library also provides access to selected Online Legal Databases for conducting legal research. Please consult our Computer Use Rules for details on using library computers.

4. How can the law librarian help me?
Law Librarians can provide legal and procedural information and direct you to resources for conducting your legal research. They can provide instruction on how to use print and electronic legal resources. Law Librarians cannot do the research for you, prepare documents for you, or provide legal advice.

5. How can I tell if you have a certain book in the library?
You can search our Catalog.


Happy Patron

Finding materials

1. How can I find the laws in Connecticut on a topic?
Browse or search the Connecticut General Statutes

2. How can I find the Connecticut court rules or procedures?
The current year rules of procedure for Connecticut are found in the Connecticut Practice Book.

3. How can I find recent Decisions and Opinions?
Cases (also called decisions, opinions or memorandum of decision) can be found on the Internet in several locations:

4. How can I find Connecticut cases on a subject?

  • Connecticut Advance Release Opinions by Subject (Connecticut  Supreme and Appellate Court)
  •  Google Scholar External Link is another option for locating and searching Connecticut Supreme and Appellate Court cases on the Internet. General coverage is back to 1950, but be sure to read all information regarding completeness of coverage.

5. What are State regulations and how do I find them?
State regulations are the rules and requirements issued by a state agency, as authorized by statute, and have the force of law. Regulations provide the specific requirements to comply with the law. View Agency Regulations.External Link

6. What are Municipal ordinances and how do I find them?
Municipal ordinances, also called municipal regulations, are regulations issued by individual cities and towns, as authorized by statute, and have the force of law. Municipal ordinances provide the city's or town's specific requirements to comply with the law. View a listing of links to Municipal Ordinances and Charters by town.

7. How can I find information on a legal topic or procedure in Connecticut?
You can use our Law by Subject pages. Each Law by Subject page provides links to information available on the Internet for a specific legal topic or procedure in Connecticut. Topics are listed in alphabetic order. You can also use the tools at the top of the page to either sort the Law by Subject pages by major topics or use the search box to search for a specific topic.

8. How can I begin researching a legal topic or procedure in Connecticut?
You can use our Research Guides. Each Research Guide provides information to begin your research on a legal topic or procedure in Connecticut. Research Guides provide references to laws, cases, rules, and other authority that governs the legal topic or procedure. They also include references to other sources, such as books, encyclopedias, and articles on a topic or procedure. Some Research Guides include references to or examples of form templates. Research Guides provide references to both Internet and print only resources and are a good compilation of resources for beginning your research.

9. I need a motion for X, where can I find it?
A few select motions, also called pleadings or court forms, are available in a fill-in format on the Judicial Branch Forms website. But the majority of motions are not available in a fill-in format and must be written. The Judicial Branch Law Libraries have several sources for trying to locate examples of what a particular motion might say or look like. These sources include: our Research Guides (if a Guide on that motion/topic is available), templates on the library computers, or in form books located in the library. Library computers may be used to write your motion. Copiers are available for making copies of motions in books.

10. How can I find legal help?
Our Find Help page has information for finding legal aid, legal clinics, legal advocacy groups, and attorney referral services and directories.