History of the Connecticut Judicial Seal Home Home BannerBanner

Case Look-up Courts Directories Educational Resources E-Services Juror Information Online Media Resource Center Opinions Opportunities Self-Help Frequently Asked Questions Home Attorneys jud Espanol menu






















Family Forms
Filing a Motion for Contempt

Disclaimer: The information on this web page is provided as a service and a convenience by the Connecticut Judicial Branch. It is not intended as legal advice to any person.

If you have questions about the use of these forms, your legal rights, or particular issues in your case, it is strongly recommended that you talk to an attorney.

Due to the changing nature of the law, the forms and information found on this web site will change from time to time. It is up to you to follow the current procedures and to file the correct, up-to-date forms.

Each court location has a Clerk's Office and many locations also have a Court Service Center that can give you help and information about court procedures. Please note, however, that Clerk's Office and Court Service Center personnel cannot provide you with legal advice.
These instructions are to help you file a motion for contempt. Legal words and court documents can be confusing. The more you know, the more comfortable you will be when you fill out the necessary court forms and come to court. These instructions will give you some useful information and instructions on filling out the necessary forms.

Every case is different and this instruction sheet is to be used as a guide only; if you think you need more help you may want to get an attorney. You can also go to a Court Service Center or contact the Connecticut Network for Legal AidExternal Link - You are leaving the Connecticut Judicial Branch websiteor find additional information at the Law Libraries. Court staff can answer procedural questions and help you understand the legal process, but cannot give you legal advice.

To file a motion for contempt you have to fill out the following 2 forms:

Once you finish your paperwork, you must take it to the Superior Court Clerk’s office. There is no fee to file the motion. The Clerk will sign and return the Motion for Contempt form to you. It must be delivered to the other party by a State Marshal. The Clerk’s office or the Court Service Center can give you a list of State Marshals. A State Marshal will charge a fee for delivering the Motion which you must pay, unless the court has decided that you do not have to pay. There is a form to ask the court to pay the State Marshal fee if you prove that you cannot afford to pay. It is the Application For Waiver Of Fees/ Appointment Of Counsel Family (JD-FM-75). Do not sign this form until you are in front of a court clerk or notary public.

Once the Motion has been delivered to the other party, the original paperwork must be returned to the Clerk’s office with proof that the papers were delivered to the other party. If the court decided that you do not have to pay the filing fee, you must return the Application For Waiver Of Fees/Appointment of Counsel with the Motion.

Be sure to make copies of all your paperwork before returning it to the Clerk’s office because your court date will be listed on the Motion for Contempt.

On the day of your hearing be sure to come to court early because it can take 10 to 20 minutes to get into the courthouse since everyone must go through a metal detector. Be sure to bring copies of your forms and anything else you would like to show the court. Go to your assigned courtroom and wait for instructions. If you are not sure where to go, check with the Clerk’s Office or Court Service Center.




Attorneys | Case Look-up | Courts | Directories | Educational Resources | E-Services | Español | FAQs | Juror Information | Media | Opinions | Opportunities | Self-Help | Home

Common Legal Words | Contact Us | Site Map | Website Policies and Disclaimers

Copyright © 2016, State of Connecticut Judicial Branch