A prominent and stately presence on the New Haven Green
since its opening in 1914, the New Haven County Courthouse
at the corner of Elm and Church Streets was one of a handful
of buildings commissioned by New Haven County to bolster its
City Beautiful movement. Modeled after St. George's Hall in
Liverpool, England, the courthouse was designed by New Haven
architects William Allen and Richard Williams.
building's design infused Beaux-Arts principles
in a Neo-classical style. Construction began in
1909 and five years later, at a cost of $1.3
million, the structure was completed. It
officially opened its doors on March 24, 1914.
Statuary in front of the Courthouse by noted
sculptor J. Massey Rhind and murals and lunettes
inside by famed early 20th Century
painter T. Thomas Gilbert help give the imposing
building its aesthetic appeal. Today it serves
as the Geographical Area #23 Courthouse.