Connecticut Judicial Branch
Where to File a Civil Case
Quick Links
Directions to Courts and Judicial Branch Facilities
Superior Court

To determine at which court location to file your case, please click on the links below and use the drop down box to find your town of residence.

Housing Matters - Includes matters involving summary process, appeals from decisions of fair rent commissions, the discrimination in the sale or rental of residential property, forcible entry and detainer, violations of health and safety standards, security deposits, back rent and damages.

Matters Involving Consumer Transactions - Includes transactions in which a person obligates himself or herself to pay for goods sold or leased; services rendered; or money loaned for personal, family or household purposes.

Matters Involving Land - Includes actions involving title to land, trespass, foreclosure, mortgage redemption and liens.

Other Civil Matters

Small Claims Matters - All actions, except libel and slander, where the money damages claimed are not more than $5000 or in the case of a home improvement contract, money damages are limited up to $15,000 (except that a renter can sue a landlord for more than $5000 if the case is for the return of a security deposit).

Please note that the information presented is designed to provide you with basic information about filing civil cases. It is not intended as a substitute for the advice of an attorney. The Judicial Branch is not responsible for any error or omission on this web site.