There is no laptop fee for the remote examination being held February 23 & 24, 2021.
Minimum System Requirements
Minimum Standard Requirements are available at:https://examsoft.com/resources/examplify-minimum-system-requirements
NOTE: Virtual camera software may not be used to meet the requirements for ExamID or ExamMonitor.
Overview and Pre-Exam Deadlines
Connecticut will be administering a remote bar exam using Examplify, secure testing software,
provided by ExamSoft. In order to safeguard exam integrity for remote exams, Examplify will include
ExamID and ExamMonitor tools that provide identity verification via facial recognition and video/audio
recording with artificial intelligence and two rounds of human proctoring review.
Applicants must strictly adhere to all deadlines and instructions in order to complete their
registration for and take the exam. The deadlines cannot and will not be extended for any reason.
Failure to meet any of these deadlines will result in your not being able to take the Connecticut
- ExamSoft Registration Opens: January 14, 2021
- ExamSoft Registration Closes:January 29, 2021
- Mock Exam Upload Deadline: January 29, 2021
- Exam File Download Opens: February 16, 2021
- Exam File Download Closes: February 19, 2021
STEP 1: Register and download Examplify and a mock exam.
STEP 2: Take and upload the MANDATORY mock exams.
- Visit www.examsoft.com/CTbar from the computer you will be using on exam day and review
the minimum system requirements for your computer.
- Login under the ‘Exam Takers’ section with your assigned ID and password that will be
emailed to you on the day the registration opens.
- Click ‘Download’ and follow the on-screen prompts to launch the installer. Once completed, open Examplify.
- Enter the Institution ID ‘CTbar’, then click ‘Next’.
- Enter the same assigned ID and password to register Examplify. Click ‘Sign In’.
- Select Mock Exam under My Exams and click Download Exam.
Before starting any exam, including the mandatory mock exams:
- Ensure you are connected to internet and your laptop is plugged into the power and your
battery is fully charged in case of power failure.
- Ensure there is no one else in the room.
- If using a laptop, disconnect external cameras and microphones - use built-in resources only.
If using a PC that is not equipped with built-in camera or microphone, connect one external camera
and one external microphone prior to launching Examplify. You may not use virtual camera software
with ExamID or ExamMonitor.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Before you take your baseline photo, confirm you are in a well-lit area and the
light on your face is brighter than the light in back of you. Ensure you have a light on in front of
you and not behind, increase brightness on your device and ensure you do not have your back to a
window that would create a shadow on your face.
- Remove all textbooks, notes, papers and other prohibited items from your workspace.
- Turn off your cell phone, music, TV.
- Use the bathroom before you begin the exam as you will not be able to get up during the exam module.
- Launch Examplify and select the Mock Exam under ‘My Exams’ on the left side.
- Enter the exam password and click ‘Enter’. The exam password will be located on www.examsoft.com/CTbar.
- You may be prompted to close any open programs and disable your antivirus program.
- Biometric Consent - you must consent to ExamSoft capturing your biometric information
(i.e., taking your picture). This is a requirement for you to access your exam.
- Webcam / Microphone Access - Before starting a mock exam, you will be asked to allow access
to your webcam and microphone. This is a requirement for you to access your exam.
- Facial Recognition – the software will take your picture to verify your identity for each
exam module - no photo ID is required on the day of the exam and you should not hold up your id by
your face when logging in. The CBEC will have the government issued ID you provided during the mock
exam for comparison and further verification purposes.
- Read each Exam Notice window carefully and click the ‘Next’ button in the bottom right to
- On the Stop Sign screen, click ‘Continue’, then click the checkbox and select ‘Start Exam’.
- Video recording will begin automatically, including both webcam and screen capture throughout your
entire exam. Use of the software is your consent to video and audio recording.
- Get familiar with Examplify and its features by typing a paragraph in each question window and use
available formatting options. During your actual exam, answer each question in the appropriately numbered window.
Do NOT type all answers into one window. To navigate between questions, use the ‘Next’ button at the bottom right
or click the question number on the left-hand pane.
- TECHNICAL ISSUES - most issues during an exam (e.g. a freeze, etc.) can be resolved by rebooting the device
(DO NOT attempt to repair by exiting the exam as you cannot reenter.) Turn off your device (press and hold power button).
Wait 5 seconds then restart your device. Once Examplify restarts, it will return to within 59 seconds of where you left
off in the exam. You will be required to close your exam if you have been out of your exam for more than 10 minutes.
- SUBMITTING EXAM: The exam will close automatically once you reach the time limit or you may click on ‘Finish’ on
the last question to submit your exam if you finish before the time limit. On the blue screen, click the checkbox then
click the ‘Submit Exam’ button. Examplify will automatically upload your answer file along with the video recording to
be proctored. Keep your computer connected to the internet with Examplify until you verify that the upload is complete.
If for some reason your computer is turned off before the upload is complete, it will automatically resume when your
computer is turned on and connected to the internet. You will receive a green ‘Upload Complete’ screen and a confirmation email.
If the upload has not finished before your next exam module, you must enter the module on schedule and complete the upload after
you have completed the exam. The deadline to upload all exam answer and proctoring files is
12PM Eastern time on Friday, February 26, 2021.
To avoid being flagged, be sure to follow these best practices:
- Ensure that you have privacy for the entire exam - do not interact with other people or receive any outside assistance.
- Remain focused on the exam, without looking away from your device. No phones, textbooks, notes or other prohibited items are permitted.
- Make sure that your face remains fully framed by the camera at all times during the exam. At the top of the screen is an eyebrow pull-down that says Monitoring. If you click on this, you can see your live video feed. Clicking anywhere in Examplify will exit this screen and return you back to Examplify. When you enter the exam, click on the video feed to confirm you are in the view of the camera.
- Make sure you do not have your webcam covered.
- Do not read exam questions out loud.
- Do not use your mobile phone at any time.
- Do not get up from your computer for any reason until your exam is complete.
- All flagged events will be reviewed by two rounds of human proctoring to determine if the event raises security or integrity concerns.
- The mere fact that a sound or behavior generates a flag and is reviewed will not automatically result in a formal investigation or action taken against an examinee for misconduct. The decision as to whether a specific event requires a formal investigation or other action will be made by CBEC.
STEP 3: Download exam files required to use on the exam day. This must be completed by February 19, 2021.
- Launch Examplify.
- Under ‘My Exams’ select each exam file from the list on the left side and click 'Download Exam' (If this exam is not showing in the list, click 'Refresh Exam List' at the bottom). The download progress will begin to show; if you see 'Exam File Downloaded' under exam name, the download was successful.
- Confirm that the following exam files have been downloaded https://bar.examsoft.com/exam-files/
Exam Day Instructions and Uploading Answer and Proctoring Files
- Password Release: Each exam session will require a password,
which will be released 15 minutes before each session is scheduled to begin. Applicants should begin the check-in and log-in process early in the event they experience
any difficulties and require assistance from ExamSoft. Anyone
experiencing difficulty should contact the ExamSoft helpline for assistance at (888) 816-3065.
Exam day passwords will be emailed and also posted for standard time applicants on this
site https://bar.examsoft.io/CTBar. The exam day
passwords for applicants testing with accommodations will be emailed directly from the CBEC
- Exam Schedule: All Connecticut bar exam applicants will begin the exam modules at the same time, irrespective of the time zone in
which the applicants are taking the exam. Applicants are expected to be logged in and ready at the beginning of
each designated module. The first exam session will begin at 9:00AM Eastern time each day. Those taking the exam
in other time zones must adjust accordingly.
Answer Files Upload Deadline: Answer and video/audio files should be uploaded immediately after the exam. Applicants
will have until 12:00PM Eastern time on Friday, February 26, 2021 to complete all uploads. Any applicant who needs assistance
must contact ExamSoft for assistance prior to this deadline.
- Each module will automatically shut after the amount of time specified for each session.
- Once a module begins, you must remain in your seat with your face in view of the camera while testing.
- Should applicants experience technical difficulties, the CBEC has built in a short start window for applicants
to contact ExamSoft for assistance at 1-888-816-3065 or to resolve any issues that do not require ExamSoft support.
Applicants utilizing the start window will still have the same amount of time within the exam, however, they will have
a shorter break prior to starting the next module.
- ExamSoft has a silent alarm timer that starts counting down at the five minute marker and appears at the top
of the screen in yellow. Applicants can set two optional alarm timers. In the practice exam, one of the questions will
walk applicants through how to set these two additional timers.
For technical support during the examination, contact ExamSoft by phone 1-888-816-3065.