History of the Connecticut Judicial Seal Home Home BannerBanner

Case Look-up Courts Directories Educational Resources E-Services Juror Information Online Media Resource Center Opinions Opportunities Self-Help Frequently Asked Questions Home Attorneys Espanol menu






















Family Forms
Filing for a Dissolution of Civil Union with Children

Disclaimer: The information on this web page is provided as a service and a convenience by the Connecticut Judicial Branch. It is not intended as legal advice to any person.

If you have questions about the use of these forms, your legal rights, or particular issues in your case, it is strongly recommended that you talk to an attorney.

Due to the changing nature of the law, the forms and information found on this web site will change from time to time. It is up to you to follow the current procedures and to file the correct, up-to-date forms.

Each court location has a Clerk's Office and many locations also have a Court Service Center that can give you help and information about court procedures. Please note, however, that Clerk's Office and Court Service Center personnel cannot provide you with legal advice.

These instructions are to help you representing yourself in the dissolution of a civil union in which children are involved. Legal words and court documents can be confusing. The more you know, the more comfortable you will be when you fill out the necessary court forms and come to court. These instructions will give you some useful information and instructions on filling out the necessary forms.

Every case is different and this instruction sheet is to be used as a guide only; if you think you need more help you may want to get an attorney. You can also go to a Court Service Center or contact the Connecticut Network for Legal AidExternal Link - You are leaving the Connecticut Judicial Branch websiteor find additional information at the Law Libraries. Court staff can answer procedural questions and help you understand the legal process, but cannot give you legal advice.

To start a dissolution you have to fill out the following 3 forms:

And attach to the complaint:

Once you finish your paperwork, you must take it to the Superior Court Clerk’s office. The Clerk will sign the summons and return the forms to you. Copies of the paperwork must be delivered to the defendant by a State Marshal. The Clerk’s office or the Court Service Center can give you a list of State Marshals. A State Marshal will charge a fee for delivering the paperwork which you must pay, unless the court has decided that you do not have to pay. There is a form you can use to ask the court to excuse you from paying the State Marshal fee if you prove that you cannot afford to pay. It is the Application For Waiver Of Fees/ Appointment Of Counsel Family (JD-FM-75). You can also use this form if you cannot afford to pay the fee to file the case. Do not sign this form until you are in front of a court clerk or notary public.

Once copies of the paperwork have been delivered to the defendant, the original paperwork must be returned to the Clerk’s office along with the filing fee and proof that the papers were delivered to the other party. If the court has decided that you do not have to pay the filing fee, you must return the Application For Waiver of Fees/Appointment of Counsel with your other papers.

On your paperwork there will be 2 dates listed. One is the Return date. The return date must be Tuesday and should be at least 4 weeks after the day you bring the papers to the court clerk. The other is the Case Management Date. The Case Management date is at least 90 days after your Return date.

The next form you will have to fill out and send or give to the Family Clerk’s office is the:

If the defendant has filed an Appearance form, he or she needs to sign the Case Management Agreement form, too. This form must be given or sent to the Clerk’s Office before the Case Management Agreement date on your Summons form. You do not have to go to court on the Return date. On the Case Management Agreement form you are choosing your actual dissolution date and must be in court on that date. If you and the defendant do not agree to a dissolution date and have not filed a Case Management Agreement either, you must come to court on your Case Management Date.

If you have children under the age of 18 (eighteen), you must take part in a parenting education program within 60 (sixty) days after a family case is filed. There is a fee for the classes that you will have to pay unless the court has decided that you do not have to.

There is a form to ask the court to let you not pay the fee. It is the Application For Waiver Of Fees/ Appointment Of Counsel Family (JD-FM-75).

You will need the following forms to participate in the class:

For your final dissolution hearing you have to fill out the following forms:

If the defendant did not respond to the Dissolution of Civil Union Complaint you may have to file another form, the:

On the day of your dissolution hearing be sure to come to court early because it can take 10 to 20 minutes to get into the courthouse since everyone must go through a metal detector. Be sure to bring your filled out court forms and copies of any other forms you may have filed. Go to your assigned courtroom and wait for instructions. If you are not sure where to go, check with the Clerk’s office or Court Service Center.




Attorneys | Case Look-up | Courts | Directories | Educational Resources | E-Services | Español | FAQs | Juror Information | Media | Opinions | Opportunities | Self-Help | Home

Common Legal Words | Contact Us | Site Map | Website Policies and Disclaimers

Copyright © 2015, State of Connecticut Judicial Branch