History of the Connecticut Judicial Seal Home Home BannerBanner

Case Look-up Courts Directories Educational Resources E-Services Juror Information Online Media Resource Center Opinions Opportunities Self-Help Frequently Asked Questions Home Attorneys Espanol menu






















Civil Forms
Forms to file if you would like to have a
Judgment Opened

Disclaimer: The information on this web page is provided as a service and a convenience by the Connecticut Judicial Branch. It is not intended as legal advice to any person.

If you have questions about the use of these forms, your legal rights, or particular issues in your case, it is strongly recommended that you talk to an attorney.

Due to the changing nature of the law, the forms and information found on this web site will change from time to time. It is up to you to follow the current procedures and to file the correct, up-to-date forms.

Each court location has a Clerk's Office and many locations also have a Court Service Center that can give you help and information about court procedures. Please note, however, that Clerk's Office and Court Service Center personnel cannot provide you with legal advice.

These instructions are to help you if you would like to have a civil judgment opened. Court procedures can be confusing. This guide will give you useful information and the necessary forms to fill out to ask a judge to open a judgment against you.

Every case is different and these instructions are to be used as a guide only; if you think you need more help you may want to get an attorney. You can also go to a Court Service Center or contact the Connecticut Network for Legal AidExternal Link - You are leaving the Connecticut Judicial Branch websiteor find additional information at the Law Libraries. Court Staff can help you understand the legal process, and while they may give you procedural information, they cannot give you legal advice.

To file a motion to have a civil judgment opened you have to fill out the following 2 forms: 

By filing an Appearance form you are telling the court that you are acting as your own attorney and giving the court your mailing address. Once you file an Appearance, all court notices and papers filed about your case that are filed after your Appearance will be sent to the address on your Appearance.

The Motion to Open Judgment is to be filled out by the party who wants to have a judge open the case. There is a space on the form for you to give the reason why the judgment should be opened. You must sign the motion in front of the Court Clerk. Please do not sign the Motion to Open Judgment before you arrive at the Clerk’s office.

The Motion to Open Judgment has a filing fee. If you cannot afford to pay the fee, there is a form you can use to ask the court to excuse you from paying the fee. It is the Application for Waiver of Fees (JD-CV-120). Do not sign this form until you are in front of a court clerk or a notary public.

The court will have a hearing on your Motion to Open Judgment. It will be scheduled in one of two ways. First, the motion can come up on a Court Short Calendar; in this case you would wait to get a calendar from the court and then follow the instructions printed on it. A second way to have your motion scheduled is to ask that the Clerk assign a date. In this case you must have the motion delivered to, or served on, the other party by a State Marshal. The Clerk’s Office or the Court Service Center can give you a list of State Marshals. The State Marshal will charge a fee for delivering this paper. You must pay this fee unless the court decides that you cannot afford to pay. You can ask the court to decide to have the Marshal’s fee paid by the Court by filling out and filing the Application for Waiver of Fees form (JD-CV-120). You should file the Application for Waiver of Fees at the same time that you file the Motion to Open Judgment.

You may go to any Court Service Center for help filling out these or any other forms.




Attorneys | Case Look-up | Courts | Directories | Educational Resources | E-Services | Español | FAQs | Juror Information | Media | Opinions | Opportunities | Self-Help | Home

Common Legal Words | Contact Us | Site Map | Website Policies and Disclaimers

Copyright © 2015, State of Connecticut Judicial Branch