History of the Connecticut Judicial Seal Home Home BannerBanner

Case Look-up Courts Directories Educational Resources E-Services Juror Information Online Media Resource Center Opinions Opportunities Self-Help Frequently Asked Questions Home Attorneys Espanol menu






















Civil Forms
Forms to File if you are a Defendant
in a Foreclosure Case

Disclaimer: The information on this web page is provided as a service and a convenience by the Connecticut Judicial Branch. It is not intended as legal advice to any person.

If you have questions about the use of these forms, your legal rights, or particular issues in your case, it is strongly recommended that you talk to an attorney.

Due to the changing nature of the law, the forms and information found on this web site will change from time to time. It is up to you to follow the current procedures and to file the correct, up-to-date forms.

Each court location has a Clerk's Office and many locations also have a Court Service Center that can give you help and information about court procedures. Please note, however, that Clerk's Office and Court Service Center personnel cannot provide you with legal advice.

These instructions are to help you represent yourself if you are a defendant in a foreclosure case. Legal words and court documents can be confusing. The more you know about foreclosure, the more comfortable you will be when you fill out the necessary forms and come to court. These instructions will give you some useful information and instructions on filling out the necessary forms.

Every case is different and these instructions are to be used as a guide only; if you think you need more help you may want to get an attorney.  You can also go to a Court Service Center or contact the Connecticut Network for Legal AidExternal Link - You are leaving the Connecticut Judicial Branch websiteor find additional information at the Law Libraries. Court Staff can help you understand the legal process, and while they may give you procedural information, they cannot give you legal advice. 

To respond to a foreclosure lawsuit you first have to fill out the following forms: 

IMPORTANT: There are other pleadings that you can file for which there are no pre-printed forms. Sections 10-6 and 10-8 of the Connecticut Practice Book give information on the timing and order for the filing of these pleadings.

The Law Library also has a Video on the First Steps in Responding to a Lawsuit.

By filing an Appearance form you are telling the court that you are acting as your own attorney and giving the court your mailing address. Once you file an Appearance, all court notices and papers filed about your case that are filed after your Appearance will be sent to the address on your Appearance.

The Appearance form is due by the return date which is listed on the top right corner of the Summons. The Summons is one of the forms that started the case against you. By filing an Appearance form you are telling the court that you are acting as your own attorney and giving the court your mailing address. It is best to file an Appearance as early as possible. It is important to fill out this form in order to receive any court notices, and to give the other parties to your case a correct address for correspondence about the case.

The Foreclosure Mediation Certificate can be turned in with the Appearance form but must be filed no later than 15 days from the return date on your Summons. The Foreclosure Mediation Certificate asks for information to try to allow you into the Foreclosure Mediation Program, a program to help homeowners settle their foreclosure cases. You have to answer 5 questions including if the home is your primary residence, do you occupy the property, is the property a 1-, 2-, 3- or 4-family residence, if you are the borrower, and is the foreclosure a mortgage foreclosure. If the answer to all 5 questions is “yes”, you may be qualified for the Foreclosure Mediation Program. If the court decides you are qualified for the program, it will send you a notice to the address listed on your Appearance form with the date and time your Mediation is scheduled.

The Answer to Complaint is due within 15 days of the return date listed on the summons. (There are some exceptions to this 15-day requirement that are in sections 10-6 and 10-8 of the Connecticut Practice Book.

You may go to any Court Service Center for help filling out these or any other forms or for any procedural questions that you have about your case.




Attorneys | Case Look-up | Courts | Directories | Educational Resources | E-Services | Español | FAQs | Juror Information | Media | Opinions | Opportunities | Self-Help | Home

Common Legal Words | Contact Us | Site Map | Website Policies and Disclaimers

Copyright © 2015, State of Connecticut Judicial Branch