rose 29 feet from the roof while the main cornice was 58
feet from the ground. The tower and cornices were made of
galvanized iron while the roof was covered with tin.
contained a clock with illuminated dials, which were lit up
at night and a 3,000-pound bell, which would chime at the
appointed hour and also double as an alarm bell.
Court was on the second floor along with town hall offices,
the library and sheriff's office. The Courtroom was in the
front of the building and was 45 x 50 feet with ample
adjoining anterooms. The interior of most rooms in the
building was of yellow pine, chestnut and black walnut.
public buildings and churches had been ravaged by fire in
the past, this building was supplied with water closets on
each floor and fireproof vaults.
At the time,
a local newspaper wrote that the Norwich City Hall and
Courthouse "would compare favorably with any public building
in the country."
its 250th Anniversary, the town of Norwich
welcomed President William Howard Taft, who arrived by train
from Beverly, Massachusetts on July 5th, 1909 and spoke on
the Courthouse steps.
cost for the building was approximately $350,000.