Connecticut Judicial Branch Home

Hartford County Courthouse (95 Washington Street)

Hartford Judicial District Courthouse - 1935
Copyright 1935
  Hartford Judicial District Courthouse
Postmarked 1937

Hartford County
Courthouse
Trumbull and Allyn

 

Designed by the architectural firms of Paul P. Cret of Philadelphia and Smith & Bassette of Hartford, the new Hartford County Courthouse opened its doors on January 28, 1929. It was built to replace the old courthouse at Trumbull and Allyn Streets, which was described as "inadequate and clumsy." The building cost over $2.8 million dollars (at a time when a Ford automobile cost $450) and assumed a more appropriate location in sight of the beautiful gold-domed State Capitol and the majestic State Library and Supreme Court Building. The architects blended beaux-arts classicism and art deco styles into the imposing structure, which sits on nearly two acres and faces East on Washington Street. The four-story, rectangular new Courthouse contained 15 different kinds of marbles in its interior--from the soft St. Memy stone from the coast of Normandy, France to pink Tennessee marble.

The gorgeous building today serves as the Hartford Judicial District Courthouse.


Click on any picture to see a larger version
This court today

Greetings from Hartford, Connecticut
Published 1940s

  Postcards Home
  Court Jigsaw Puzzles
  Courthouses Today
  Visit a Courthouse External Link
  Kids' Stuff
  Judicial Branch Home
 

   

Attorneys | Case Look-up | Courts | Directories | Educational Resources | E-Services | Español | FAQ's | Juror Information | Media | Opinions | Opportunities | Self-Help | Home

Common Legal Words | Contact Us | Site Map | Website Polices and Disclaimers

Copyright © 2013, State of Connecticut Judicial Branch